National Day of Action stares at Vaccination Target

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

The government hopes to get maxim jabs done on October 16, 2021

Staff Reporter
Auckland, October 8, 2021

With over half the eligible population now fully vaccinated and more than 80% with at least one dose, all of us have to do our bit to reach the remaining 20%, Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins has said.

“We have got a plan and to make it work, we are asking everyone to contribute to a big, nationwide push for vaccination. This will culminate in a National Day of Action for vaccination on Saturday, October 16, 2021,” he said at a media conference.

He said that on that day, vaccine clinics will be open throughout New Zealand all day and into the evening.

Appeal to people, leaders

It would be like Election Day and the government has requested all political and civic leaders to contribute to a big collective effort to encourage people to get vaccinated, he said.

“As of October 8, 2021, half of the eligible population in New Zealand has been fully vaccinated. We have seen 85% of Aucklanders and over 80% of New Zealanders have at least one dose of the Pfizer vaccine. All of us have a role to play in getting our vaccination rates up. Our message to the 80% of the eligible population who have had their first dose is this: your job is not done. Please get your second dose and help us reach those who have not yet come forward to be vaccinated,” Mr Hipkins said.

Covid-19 Response Minister Chris Hipkins (Screen Grab)

 

“We need you to be talking to them about the reasons you have been vaccinated, we need you to make sure they are getting reliable, honest information about the vaccine. And we need you to help us to get the unvaccinated vaccinated. We are asking our business community, our media, and our community groups to play a role too. Those that want to offer incentives to the unvaccinated to get them in the door are encouraged to do so,” he said.

Encouraging youth to vaccinate

Mr Hipkins said that the government has asked parents and grandparents to encourage young New Zealanders to take up the opportunity to be vaccinated.

“We also want young people to check in with any older family members who are not yet vaccinated, show them where they can find reliable and accurate information online, and help the whole whānau to be protected. We must leave no stone unturned. No one should be left behind because they haven’t had the support they need to make an informed choice to be vaccinated,” Mr Hipkins said.

There are currently 350,000 appointments available next week online.

Please visit https://bookmyvaccine.covid19.health.nz/.

These figures do not include general practice, where more than 20% of people are getting their vaccines. Work is being done with District Health Boards to increase capacity further.

“Our response as a collective nation to the challenges posed by Covid-19 has been world-leading. Now we need a world-leading uptake of vaccination. The next week and a half are critical. We need to pull out all the stops to increase our vaccination rates. It has never been more urgent,” Mr Hipkins said.

Booking.com

Share this story

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Related Stories

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.