Posted By

Tags

Satellite Centres will solve the Star Problem

John Palino – 

Auckland has some amazing opportunities.

Our population growth is worth gold if we can plan it properly but the growth plan this Council created is a big failure.

Earlier this year, the ATAP (Auckland Transport Alignment Project) Report highlighted this failure and demonstrated the need for a new growth plan for Auckland.

New Growth Plan

I created the new growth plan for Auckland during my 2013 campaign.

Both National and Labour are in agreement with my plan that we must open up the Metropolitan boundary. National is now going to force the Council to open up land.

Please visit the article that I wrote in Indian Newslink (August 1, 2013) by following this link (http://goo.gl/ss533z).

Editor’s Note: The article can also be accessed from our archives on our website (www.indiannewslink.co.nz).

Let me start by saying that we cannot and must not intensify established suburbs which cannot handle the growth. This kind of growth serves no one and plays a huge part in the increased congestion, debt, over-loaded schools, extended pressure on police, fire, ambulance and hospitals.

It has caused our house prices to skyrocket, our families to move away from Auckland and the increased poverty that we are seeing in the outer suburbs.

New Cities

Growth needs to be focused on new satellite centres and close to employment where we can model new cities on an identified and planned balance of jobs, homes and travel.

We must stop thinking that we can continue to channel trips into the Central Business District (CBD). Only 12% of the working-force actually go to the CBD, leaving 88% having to use their cars and that is the problem.

Our growth plan needs to change now and we need to grow new centres in our north, north-west and south. This will reduce trips to the CBD, provide affordable housing and reduce the squeeze on cars and buses into the central city.

Embrace technology

New centres can be fit out with the kind of technology we need to manage transport effectively and deliver thousands of affordable homes, while jobs are created near them. This is our opportunity to build new, beautiful, modern centres where people will live and work.

By opening up the land and concentrating on growth, we will reduce house prices, enabling us to actually have a plan. While residential areas are being built, the business centre will create jobs for those moving into the City.

It allows us to know when and where the schools should be built and where the police, ambulance, fire and emergency facilities are needed.

By stage three of this growth plan, we can build a new hospital, an on-campus university and opportunities for international investment.

This is how cities are growing around the world.

Brisbane has Springfield and many other cities are doing the same.

How do you want Auckland to grow?

John Palino is a candidate for the Auckland Mayoralty.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Share this story

Related Stories

Indian Newslink

Previous slide
Next slide

Advertisement

Previous slide
Next slide

Advertisement

Previous slide
Next slide

Advertisement

Previous slide
Next slide

Advertisement

Previous slide
Next slide

Advertisement

Previous slide
Next slide

Advertisement

Previous slide
Next slide

Advertisement

Previous slide
Next slide

Advertisement

Previous slide
Next slide

Advertisement

Previous slide
Next slide

Advertisement